Monday, February 11, 2008

Synchronized Travel

My friend Sean came to me with an interesting idea. His sister is in Montreal at present, and Sean and I are both in Vancouver. Each city has a 'University' street. Each group took a set of identical directions and in two seperate cities, we followed the steps, taking a photo at each location.

These are my results from UBC.

1) The first stage is your starting point

Simple enough. I decided to shoot the street itself.



2) Walk in any direction for 50-100 paces, and then turn 180 degrees

Sean and I walked down the street in the direction I'd shot earlier, and we turned 180. This was my shot, which was almost identical to Sean's.




3) Continue walking in that direction until you see something blue

At this point, I was beginning to worry that our directions would wind up being finished within five minutes or parking. Immediately to our left was something blue, which I shot.



4)Make a left turn and walk 50-70 paces

This was a little better. We began to put some distance between our parking spot and ourselves. We walked along and came to a nice seating area. I shot an individual bench with a cool reflection in the puddle.



5)Walk in any direction until something that either is or looks like
the number 7 or 11

This instruction allowed us to move away from our starting point and to explore the UBC campus a little. We went up some stairs, along a path, and then we spotted a couple of 11-shaped objects. Here's what I shot.



6)Take the first left, and continue walking until you find somewhere to sit

We weren't going to sit down with it raining the way it was, but we found a ledge that would make a good seat. I played with this photo a little more than I usually do in editing, dropping the saturation until there was only faint colour remaining.



7)Choose any direction and walk for 25-50 paces

This step was easy enough. We followed a path in towards one of the UBC buildings a short way, and looked for something to shoot. I found the girders set in the building quite interesting, especially when shot with a telephoto lens. You can really see the shallow depth of field on this shot.



8)Continue walking until you see an unusual colour, shape or texture.
Turn 180 degrees

This thing had both unusual shape and colour, so it was an easy shot to take. I wish I'd taken the time to line this up a little better, since the shot feels a little crooked.




9)Keep walking in any direction until you see an archway or an unusual
architectural feature

We walked along to the UBC library for this one. I spotted an arch over a doorway, and I shot this through a gap in a gate. I particularly like the cold and warm tones in this shot, in addition to the nice arch.



10) Head for home, but continue looking for anything that catches your eye

This was our parking garage. Again, the play of cold and warm in this photo was fun to capture.

So those are my shots for our synchronized photography. It was fun to get out and shoot despite the weather. There's been some consideration towards making regular photo trips, perhaps with mutliple groups following the same instructions except heading off in different directions from a common starting point. We'll see what shapes up.

No comments: